Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Beginnings

This blog is an ongoing account of an intercultural marriage between a Chinese woman-- a rendering of its joys, complications, discoveries and compromises. Although such an account must by its very nature be sui generis, I hope that enough elements exist to be of interest to those either embarked upon or contemplating a similar journey.

The details.We met online in October 2014. At the time she was living in Shenzhen and I was in Tucson, Arizona. Our first meeting occurred in 2015 when Yong traveled to Tucson. I returned the favor in August of that year. She came to America again and October and I ventured to China for the Christmas holiday. When she came to America in February 2016 we figured we had had enough of this global ping pong and decided to get married. We were married on March 23rd, 2016 in (where else) Las Vegas. Yong applied for an adjustment of status and we are awaiting the outcome of this process, which is not quite as fun as going to the dentist, but a close second.

We are currently living in Kenosha, Wisconsin, a town of about one hundred thousand in southeastern Wisconsin, on the shores of Lake Michigan. I am employed as the Program Coordinator for International Projects at Carthage College.

No comments:

Post a Comment